Thursday, June 21, 2007

Ko Pha-Ngan

I've done a lot of moving since the last post. We're now in Ko Pha-Ngan, an island in southern Thailand. Been here for about 3 days so far. It's nice here, but very quiet.

After we left Ho Chi Minh, we went to Cambodia and spent about 4 days travelling through - seeing the ancient temples at Angkor along the way. That was very interesting to see. Wasn't that impressed with Cambodia apart from that, to be honest. It's a lot poorer than Thailand and Vietnam, and therefore a lot more underdeveloped - the roads etc are shockin'. The people there seem to resent foreigners (even me) a bit as well.

We had quite a nasty 24 hours of bus travel after we left Siem Reap in Cambodia! It took about 10 hours to get to Bangkok and then another night bus south which took +12 hours and then a 4-hour ferry to the island we're on now. A bit crazy doing it all in one go, but we're getting short on time now in Asia. Going to Sydney on Monday week. Time's really flying.

Gonna spend the next week sitting on the beach, reading and drinking Snickers Milkshakes. Indeed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The time surely is flying. Ye seemed to get a nice taste of "the whole Asia thing" anyhoo. Keep the blogs a-comin goss.

Andrew said...

Strangely, I met a man in Vietnam whose nickname among locals was "Gook". I didn't call him by his nickname.

We're on a lovely island now (Ko Tao). Good craic so far. Will ring soon.

Aidan said...

Having read your latest, I can't say I'm envious of that bus journey. Perhaps it's as well that I'm "doing Asia" by following your blogs. I hope you have no illnesses to reort- stick to the Mars etc. and avoid the local ice cream!!!
Sorry I missed your call yesterday - it came up "Private Number" and you know how I deal with those. I tried to ring Jo's number and while it appeared to ring properly, it probably was very late there.
Anyway, keep up the good work on blogs etc.
Dad

Unknown said...

Hi Andrew,
I haven't looked up the blog over the past few weeks and I'm amazed by the amount of travelling you've done thus far. I think I've even been around Asia quicker than your Dad as I've read all your entries at the one time!!It's O.K!!
Everything this end pales in comparison. Went to DEVO last week in Vicar Street. Absolutely amazing gig.
Keep the stories coming 'Drew.
Niall

Andrew said...

Hey Niall, I'd say there was a big crowd at that one. The music in Thailand/Vietnam is outrageously bad. There's a lot of Thai Mickey-Joe Hartes. Heading to Australia on Sunday. Will be in touch.