Thursday, June 7, 2007

Hi, my name is ________. Nice to meet you.

We just spent the morning helping out at an English school for Vietnamese children. It was good fun. The first class was teaching the alphabet and simple sentences to young kids and afterwards teaching prepositions to teenagers. Their level of English was impressive.

At the moment we're in a coastal resort town called Nha Trang. It's pretty nice here, but a bit manic as they're starting a big summer festival here tomorrow. Since my last post we did a good bit of travelling in Vietnam. We got an overnight train to Hue, a small sleepy enough town about midway through the country. It was nice and relaxed there so we stayed 2 nights there, visiting a cool citadel. Also enjoyed watching 3 back-to-back Star Wars episodes on cable TV!

We then travelled to a place called China Beach, which is near the city of Danang. Think it was probably the nicest beach I've seen yet. It stretches for about 30km. We stayed at a great guest house called Hoa's Place, run by a nice man (surprisingly) called Hoa. Unbelievably cheap for food, accommodation etc. He was very obliging, organising flights for us to Nha Trang (where we are now).


We've been travelling with 2 other couples since we left Hanoi. Dan and Sarah from London and Dave and Moninne from Mullingar/Dublin. Getting on really well with them. The Irish couple are just on holidays for a few weeks (heading back next Monday) so they're going to Saigon tonight, whereas the rest of us are travelling for 3 days to get there. Hopefully we'll see some cool stuff along the way.

Strangely, since I left Hanoi, I've been unable to view my blog in any of the Internet cafes I've been in. As you can see, I'm able to log in and write them but I can't view it, or any comments. Weird. Maybe I said something offensive! Can't view Spoiled Metropolis' blog either. Anyhoo...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Shoulda taught them some Longford-ese.."Well sham what's the craic..any wheezes?"

Anonymous said...

They are restrictive enough about what they allow people to view in China anyway, maybe it's the same in remote 'Nam? Dunno. Anyway, the blog'll still be there when yer back in civilisation I'm sure. It all sounds like great sport. All the best, folks.

Aidan said...

I finally got around to reading your jottings and as Stephen said at the airport, "Totally jealous."Can't say I want to experience 40 degrees plus high humidity and certainly not crowds, but I want you to really enjoy it all.. I guess I'll illustrate it by referring you to the phrase that I've often used about the man from Stonepark who said " I never went to school, but my mother did and she 'tauld me'. I'll never follow tour trail but I'll say "my son wemt and he 'tauld me.'
Have a great time.
Love , Dad

Andrew said...

Thanks men. In Ho Chi Min City now and I can view my blog and comments again. You might be on to something there Stephen...

Roasting here. Hope all is well at home.